Wednesday, October 28, 2015

A sweet children's book, Fiona - the Lighthouse Firefly



I have to say that I'm very excited to see Fiona on Amazon.  It was a labor of love, for sure. The above illustrations by Mary Licata are just a few from the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiona-Lighthouse-Judi-Getch-Brodman/dp/1518721621/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445989823&sr=8-1&keywords=Fiona-+the+Lighthouse+Firefly

Profits will be split between my sister's scholarship fund and the United States Lighthouse Society.

I said a few days ago, I would give a little synopsis of Fiona... this description is found on the back of the book.

"Children love to read stories that transport them to another time or place.  And parents love to read stories to their children that evoke memories of their own magical childhood.  Fiona - the Lighthouse Firefly is such a story. 


Fiona comes to life in this tale, using her fairy-like powers to save Lizbeth's Daddy, a Maine fisherman.  Lizbeth, a sweet young girl who lives in a magical world of animal friends including Fiona, always finds herself in a bit of trouble, like being late for school or losing her Math homework.  Tonight though, her fears are real.  Will her father's boat crash or be lost at sea because the lighthouse has gone dark in a storm?  Against her mother's wishes, Lizbeth runs to the lighthouse through the rain, thunder and lightning to find out why there is no guiding light at the top of the lighthouse.  Stuart, the squirrel, awoken by Lizbeth's shouting, appears by her side.  Mr. James, the lighthouse keeper, tells them both that he has no solution; the new generator was hit by lightning and is broken.   There will be no guiding beacon tonight.  After a few minutes, Stuart, not happy seeing his Lizbeth’s sobbing, has an idea and disappears over the rocks chattering.  

Well, can you just imagine what happens next?  No?  Well Lizbeth will have to finish the story."    

As one of the agents said, "Thanks for sharing your sweet story with me. There is a real poignance to your writing."  I'm not sure about that, but it was nice to hear.

I'm a pretty driven person and when I start something, it is never left undone - mostly :-)  Even so, it feels so good to have this project completed.  I wanted to do it for my sister.  And here it is.

I'll return to my regular blogging soon - I just had to share my excitement!!

Keep writing -- it's good for the soul. 

Till,
Judi

No comments:

Post a Comment